Sunday, October 20, 2013

Old Fashioned Apple Crisp



My experience with making apple crisp is limited.  I never felt that I could "nail" the crisp part of the apple crisp, which is a key part of the recipe!  LOL!  Well, I found a recipe from Ina Garten which inspired me!!!  It was delicious.  I tweaked it quite a bit, and I've noted my changes below.



Serve this warm, or at room temperature with a scoop of vanilla ice cream - it's the perfect autumn treat, you won't be disappointed!



Ingredients
5 pounds McIntosh or Macoun apples (I used Cortlands)
Grated zest of 1 orange (did not use-didn't have any and it was 10:00 p.m.)
Grated zest of 1 lemon (did not use-didn't have any and it was 10:00 p.m.)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (did not use-didn't have any and it was 10:00 p.m.)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (did not use-didn't have any and it was 10:00 p.m.)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I used a 1/4 cup)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (1 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (a pinch)

For the topping:
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, diced (I used 1 stick + a 1/2 stick)
I added a pinch of ground cloves 
I added a pinch of allspice

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 14 by 2-inch oval baking dish.

Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.

To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. (I did this by hand, but the mixer would have made it easier). Scatter evenly over the apples.

Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.

I know I made a lot of changes, so it's not really Ina's recipe, but it was still very delicious, my husband loved it!  

Go Red Sox!!!

13 comments:

  1. I went to bed at 10:00 last night and was woken up by helicopters. I knew the Red Sox must have won. It's so exciting. The World Series starts on my birthday. I can't shave that day for sure!

    Apple Crisp is one of my most favorite things in the world! It's hard to screw it up even if it's 10:00 at night and you don't have half the ingredients. The simpler, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks and sounds delicious, and I can imagine the scent very well! Love the Halloween-themed pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a stunner of a tray bake, I love the crispy topping and the lush apples that are probably a little bit tart, just how I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple crisp brings back memories of mom and being a kid. Perfect for fall Mary.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made this in years. It used to be my "go to" dessert. I need to revive it! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never had apple crisp, but that sounds so tasty, will have a go at your post 10pm version, thank you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apple crisp is a favorite in this household...it never stays around for long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love apple crisp and am quite certain that I would prefer your recipe over Ina's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your crisp looks so good! Apples are my favorite dessert this time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds delish!
    You are a girl after my own heart.... I love making something seasonally delicious :)
    Apple crisp is perfect for this time of year!

    I should give your recipe a try tonight... it would be a great dessert for the family.

    Warm wishes..
    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is delightful Mary! Pinning:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I just love apple crisp, it's definitely a lifelong favorite.

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you've stopped by and I always enjoy your comments! Thank you!