Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Greek Mac & Cheese


There was supposed to be a beautiful photo before anyone dug in!  However my niece worked until 7:30 p.m. and stopped by STARVING.  When I went to get something she had already started eating!  She's so cute, how could I mind!  LOL!!!

Would you believe this beautiful girl is a drug and alcohol counselor!
She's also studying for her Masters degree in Forensic Psychology!
This dish does come with a warning - it is EXTREMELY rich! Also, I drove 30 miles to a little fruit market in Arlington, MA to buy the Greek cheese, I could not find it anywhere!  Additionally, the other ingredients were also purchased from a local farm.


SERVES 8–10

INGREDIENTS

3 slices crustless white bread, torn into small pieces
9 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
Kosher salt, to taste
8 oz. hollow pasta, preferably elbow macaroni 
1/4 cup flour
3 cups milk
4 cups grated graviera or kefalotyri cheese (about 12 oz.)
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
8 large shallots, finely chopped
16 oz. baby spinach, roughly chopped
8 scallions cut into 1/4"-thick rounds
1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh dill
1 3/4 cups crumbled feta (about 8 oz.)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Put bread into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Put bread crumbs and 3 tbsp. butter into a small bowl and combine; set aside. Bring a 6-qt. pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until cooked halfway through, about 3 minutes. Drain pasta, rinse with cold water, and set aside. 

2. Heat remaining butter in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Still whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in milk and cook until sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, 10–15 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Stir in graviera, cinnamon, and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper; set béchamel sauce aside. 

3. Heat oven to 350°. Heat oil in a 5-qt. pot over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring often, until soft, 3–4 minutes. Add spinach and scallions and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in the reserved béchamel sauce, the dill, and the reserved pasta and transfer mixture to a 9" x 13" baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with reserved bread crumbs and the feta. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

29 comments:

  1. Your niece is adorable, Mary. I can see she really appreciated her bowl of Greek Mac & Cheese. It looks delicious!

    I love the little lighthouse in your blog header. It looks cold there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha -- at least she left SOME to be photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good. It isn't even breakfast time in UK and here I am craving macaroni cheese. I suppose the good thing is that at least I have time to shop for the ingredients before supper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your header photo!
    And it really does not matter that some was already taken from the dish before you could take the picture, it just shows better what this wonderful dish looks like underneath the crust :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whata a beautiful header; picture perfect! That looks so good; I make a Greek pastitio; I would love to try this dish. So many times, I said; I forgot to take a picture.....
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know...it was impossible to resist!!! ciao Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks wonderful. and by the smile on your neice it is good.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the photo just as it is, looks more inviting. The recipe really looks good. Love Greek flavors. Can't blame her for digging in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The recipe sounds great... and yummy!!! Love your new header, it's a very nice picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sure looks yummy and I'm sure your niece loved it. Sometimes its nice to have something rich and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where in the world do you live that you have to drive 30 miles for feta cheese?

    I think the photo is better with a scoop taken out of it. It's not so static.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have to drive that far for the cheese too, but it looks like it would be totally worth every mile! Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable photo of your niece! This mac n cheese sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUMMY! Your niece is a real cutie...Happy New Year from us here at Dog Trot Farm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to try this, never thought to use kefalotyri! Your neice looks like she's really enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks so good! What could make Mac & Cheese even better? How about Greek cheese that you have driven miles to get, yep, that would do it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have made a copy of this recipe, it sounds delicious. I have never seen those Greek cheeses in our grocery except the feta which is in my fridge all the time but I will surely try to find them. Looking forward to trying this recipe and it sounds like something "Mr Picky Eater" would like as well.

    I am your newest follower, love your blog and thanks for visiting my blog.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  18. Back to say, you asked about my French Pastry table. I had been looking for an antique one for a very long time especially since one of my favorite interior designers is Charles Faudree. He shows many of them in his books and I knew I just HAD to have one. Whenever I would go to an antique show I would always ask some of the vendors if they knew anyone who had one. I finally found a man who sold french antiques, he didn't have one but knew someone who did. She has a shop just outside of Biringham, AL and I contacted her via email. She sent me a pic and I loved it so my husband drove up there to get it. I've only had it for three years and we did our kitchen remodel about the same time. It became the centerpiece of our kitchen remodel. I did a post some time ago about my kitchen http://southerncook-asouthernersnotebook.blogspot.com/2010/05/heart-of-any-home-kitchen.html

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh, that looks so delicious.

    Your niece is beautiful too.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great combo...love the cinnamon and nutmeg. Very unusual.
    I'd let my niece chomp away too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your new header photo. Perfect wintery scene. At least your niece was neat when she scooped out her food.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmm - never heard of this combo before. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks delicious - wish I could try some!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful and smart niece. Can't wait to try Greek mac and cheese...sure I'll love it this way too!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't blame your niece for digging in! Who could resist it? It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your header! The recipe sounds so delish and I can't wait to try it!!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mmmmmmmm, lovely Mary. I love the additions to traditional macaroni cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My daughter LOVES mac&cheese, so this is on my list now! Your niece is lovely, and I think it's wonderful she's such a mature and caring person, being a drug and alcohol counsellor definitely comes with huge challenges...

    P.S. I think I have the exact same dish, only in charcoal :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks fabulous. Perfect to warm up a winter's day.It would be great to have you join me at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you've stopped by and I always enjoy your comments! Thank you!