Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Nana's Banana Tea Bread


My grandmother, who we called Nana was a fabulous baker, and my grandfather, who we called Grampy was a fabulous cook.  What a perfect pair!  It wasn't fancy food, but it was delicious!   They always had a house full of family which they loved being surrounded by.


That's a very good thing, because Nana and Grampy had 7 children, and they were all married.  You can do the math, that means they had 7 daughters & sons in-laws!  But the number that they were most proud of was the amount of grandchildren.


There were 40 grandchildren!  We all lived nearby, we all knew each other, and we had a great time at family get togethers!  I hope you enjoy Nana's banana bread as much as we did.  And yes, Nana always made several loaves!  LOL!!!

Nana's Banana Tea Bread Recipe
(makes 1 loaf)

1 3/4 Cups Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2/3 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 Cup Mashed Bananas (2-3)
1/4 Cup fat, melted (Crisco)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (if you like)

Sift the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar together; add the nuts if used.  Add the unbeaten eggs, the mashed bananas, and the fat, which has been allowed to cool after melting.  Stir these liquids quickly and lightly into the dry ingredients.  Pour the batter into a loaf pan that has been greased and dusted with flour.  Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) for about 1 hour.  Cool before slicing.

Note:  Cream cheese and butter make great spreads for this delicious bread.  However, if you want to die and go to heaven in one bite, spread the bread with Nutella!  Enjoy!





25 comments:

  1. What a wonderful leagacy that your grandparents had, Mary! 40 grandchildren--wow!

    This looks like a delicious banana bread--thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds delicious. My parents had 8 kids, with 19 grandchildren, and 14 great granchildren, plus all their spouses, so I know what you mean about big get togethers. Fun and noisy and always the best with great food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heart warming banana bread!!! I LOVE your header. Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me wish I had over ripe bananas in the house!
    Love a good food memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well...i see this darling bread on this darling old wire rack come up on my reader...and i say to myself..oh !!! that is so cute...who did that????then i look and see it is my sweet friend, mary...

    love it !!!

    and i LOVE the story that goes with it...

    what a charming, heartfelt post

    happy to stop by...as always

    sending love,
    kary and teddy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. 40 grandchildren? Wow! Nana must've needed a lot of banana cakes! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really reminds me of my mums banana loaf which in turn was her mothers... aren't grandmas brilliant!?!? Looks yummy anyhow and yes so funny we both baked with bananas today? Imagine my banana jam spread onto this? A banana too far I think? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story! Banana loaf is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a large family! Sounds wonderful, and so full of fond memories. I love love love banana bread!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for Nana's recipe! I am going to copy it and I hope to make it one day soon. And what lovely remembrances you have... something to treasure forever...
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. one of the most homey smells in the world is this bread baking in the oven. I have all the ingredients and this is my dessert for tomorrow!
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's NOTHING better than banana bread!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mum and Nana's recipes are always the best. I like this banana loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those gatherings must have been fabulous! I really like banana bread, and if I were to make it, there'd definitely nuts in it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm banana bread is my fav!!! Yummy - thanks for the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember visiting your grandmother. I wonder if I ever had a piece of this delicious bread at her house. Well it seems I have another recipe for my files. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful to have your grandmother's recipe. Forty grandchildren? Now there's a house full. Your grandparents must have had a happy and rewarding life.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a perfect loaf of ba'nana' bread! What a big family! bet family parties are a riot! My Mom always makes banana bread for the family too! It must be the 'Gram' thing to do!

    Bet your kitchen smelled wonderful and was warm and cozy while you did your baking ... and do we ever need it, huh? Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks delicious! I love banana bread. Could live on the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two wonderful legacies - the family and the recipes :) Delicious looking banana bread!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome! My husband has 7 sisters...Can you believe I am an only child married into a huge Italian family. I can so appreciate meal time and the fond food memories.

    Great post.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Mary! Wonderful recipe...I've written it down & will be making a few loaves for sale on my market stall on Tuesday...I'll give it the proper name, to acknowledge your dear Nana & her 40 glorious grandchildren! Love the new header..tranquility in one photo...happy weekend xoxo Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your comments on my blog are just too lovely, thank you so much. I hate bananas and feel bad for hubby who loves them, I can just about make him a banana milkshake but even touching them is hard lol. One day I will man up and make him something gorgeous and banana based like this. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nana's recipes are always the best! With all of those grandchildren, she must have done a lot of cooking.Her banana bread looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum, now I feel all snacky
    Love all the old tea bread mixes, so many sweet things to enjoy

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you've stopped by and I always enjoy your comments! Thank you!