Thursday, April 28, 2011

Country Peach Cake Cookbook Challenge



This is one of my all time favorite cakes.  Some of you may recall that I like fruit type desserts, pies, cakes, breads etc.  This recipe also happens to be from one of my oldest cookbooks, Lee Bailey's Country Desserts Cakes, Cookies, Ice Creams, Pies, Puddings & More!  I'm going to submit this recipe into Dom's oldest cookbook challenge at Belleau Kitchen .


I made this cake for Easter and it was a huge hit!  The funny thing was, my oldest niece arrived at the same time we did and I asked her to carry it into Pushy Sister #3 house for me while I gathered other things.  Well, little did I know everyone was oohing and arring over her cake!  Yes, the little stinker took full credit for my cake and her younger sister didn't say anything! 


So when I came in with my tarts I asked where my cake was because it needed to be refrigerated, boy did niece #1 get grief for taking the credit for baking my cake!  My family is not shy about letting you know what they think, so it was very funny and niece #1 got a huge kick out of it!


In addition to my cake, our Easter dessert table was HUGE this year.  My nieces, their boyfriends, and #2 nephew got together and had a baking contest on Saturday.  This is the 3rd bake-off the kids have had.  Before this it was cupcakes, then pizza. So, because of some unfair biased judging of the Easter desserts the next bake off will take place next month and the judging will be at my home!  Should be fun!


Cake:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
5 Tbs plus 1 tsp corn starch
2 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
6 Tbs margarine, softened
6 Tbs butter, softened
1¼ cup plus 2 Tbs sugar
¾ cup milk
1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
9 large egg whites, stiffly beaten

Cream Filling:
2 cups heavy cream
½ cup sugar
1½ tsp pure vanilla extract

Peaches: (I use canned peaches in their own juice)
5-6 large peaches
Juice of ½ lemon
1½ tsp pure vanilla extract

1. For the cream filling, in a medium bowl, stir together the cream, sugar, and vanilla. Cover /chill, at least 2 hours before whipping.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 8-inch round pans; line bottoms with wax paper. grease the paper. 

3. Sift together flour, corn starch, salt, and baking powder; set aside. In a large bowl, competely free of any oil, beat the eggwhites until stiff; set aside.

4. In a large mixing bowl on medium high speed, cream together sugar, margarine, and butter for about 4 minutes. Add the flour mixture in four parts, alternating with milk and ending with flour. Add vanilla. 

5. Fold in beaten egg whites (don't overmix).

6. Divide the batter in the cake pans; bake on middle rack for 20-25 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.

7. Using a large slotted spoon, dip peaches in boiling water for about 10 seconds, then run cold water over them. remove skins and cut each into about a dozen slices. toss slices with lemon juice and and sprinkle liberally with sugar; set aside.

8. Make the Cream Filling; in a mixing bowl, whip the cold ingredients until stiff. Add bourbon, if using. 

9. The sliced peaches will have released some of their juices; pour a third of it over the bottom cake layer, a little at a time to give it a chance to soak in. Place a third of the peach slices on this layer and cover with whipped cream; repeat with the remaining layers. (I use about 3 tablespoons of juice from the canned peaches for each layer.)

Keep refrigerated, loosely covered, until ready to serve.


As Dom says "eat, and of course, enjoy."

27 comments:

  1. Sounds yoummy! I took it part too (or better Beatrice did) and we love this challenge! LOL ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks heavenly!!!.. I'm going to print out the recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowzer wowzer wowzer!!!!!!!!!!!! what a cake!... it's the kind of cake you just want to bury your head in and get all over your face.... I love it. Thanks so much for taking part. I love the look of that cook book... I think I may need to borrow some recipes! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo that! It is indeed some cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a luscious looking cake! I love the taste of peaches and whipped cream, so I know I'd love this cake. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous Mary...peaches & cream are divine but plus cake = heaven!! Sounds like a wonderful feast xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! It looks delicious! Love those peaches and your story also. It sounds like you have a great fun family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum yum yum yum YUM!! A baking contest... now that's an idea to suggest to my girlfriends - with me being the judge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What can I say that hasn't been said? Has to melt in your mouth and perfect Easter dessert. You're good!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should bring some of that cake over here to my V&B blue table and we'll have coffee. It looks delicious! I love peaches too.
    Cheers!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl that is insane! I could eat that whole thing, oh so good looking and the ingredients, YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This looks amazing and is going straight on my list. Such a scrumptious, gorgeous looking cake. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty Spring/Summer looking cake! It's so 'whimsical' looking to me, and it looks DELICIOUS! When I read what your niece did, claiming it as her own, boy did I laugh! My mother used to do that all the time... If we'd be at my cousins's house, let's say, and someone would say something like, "oh those cookies were good, who made them?" My mother would say, "I did." And the person would say, "Oh, they are good!" And my cousin would say: "Aunt Frances did NOT make them!!" And everyone would laugh. Thank you to your niece for bringing back a fun memory for me! ;)
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummie! Great tutorial. I am glad I stopped by to see what you were up to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow this looks fab! I love that your niece took the credit for it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Could I PLEASE have a piece of that cake??!!!!!! Wow does that ever look divine!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe anyway. ;)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cake is definitely a show stopper. A mile high masterpiece. I just love fruit desserts too. Great job on Dom's challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful cake! I wish my husband loved peaches as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man, that sounds YUMMIFIED. Wanted to thank you, too, for stopping by my blog and commenting today. Loved having you. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know if that cake would travel but I need to eat it now

    ReplyDelete
  21. My goodness! That is an amazing cake! So summery looking! You picked a good one to share! Too bad I don't live right next door! I'd be over in a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad I can eat eggs or I'd be making every one these things that you put on the blog. This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This has got to taste great. The ingredients are all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fantastic looking cake. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is one great looking cake! Fantastic!
    Lee Bailey has some delicious cookbooks :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks really amazing .... perfect summer treat!

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you've stopped by and I always enjoy your comments! Thank you!