Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It's Pie Day!!!


Blueberry


Today, the day before Thanksgiving is what we refer to as "Pie Day" in my family!  It's become a family holiday!  It is a much awaited for event where multiple generations of the women, girls and sometimes the guys, get together and make pies!  We gather at my Aunt Mae's and we bake from about 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  The most pies ever made in one year - 45!  You could say it's a regular work day!  LOL!!


Pumpkin


Everyone brings their own ingredients, pie plates, rolling pins, fillings and specialty tools.  What makes this so much fun is now the young girls are useful - they peel the apples! We also each bring a bottle of wine.  The wine isn't uncorked until the last of the pies are in the ovens.  The running joke is we make pies, they we get pie-eyed!

Lemon Meringue


The tradition started about 10 years ago, Aunt Mae was the only one who had nana's pie crust recipe and who could make her pies.  So, she told us to bring our stuff the day before Thanksgiving and she'd teach us how to make pies - we are now a family of pie makers!  There are at least 25 of us making pies!

The Queen of Pies - Apple


Happy Thanksgiving to all!

17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tradition. Do I spy an acorn on one of those pies? Your apple pie is beautiful, all the pies are too beautiful to eat. Have a great thanksgiving
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am a long lost aunt or something!!! What fun...I would love to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the kind of family tradition that the young ones will remember forever and hopefully carry on well into the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pie day starts later. I am making chocolate cream and apple. My MIL is making pecan (my fave), pumpkin and lemon meringue. Five pies for seven people. I think that's a good ratio! :)

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy thanksgiving from across the pond... what's the person to pie ratio? looks like there may be some pie leftover?... oh and congrats on your 100th follower...woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving.

    What a wonderful custom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pies are absolutely gorgeous! Mouth watering actually. I love that you have a pie baking tradition. That is so special. I'm curious about pie leftovers too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely idea, that sounds such fun and I do like traditions. Do you come up with different pies each year?

    Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dom @ Belleau, the pie to person ration is 2 pies per person LOL!!!

    Debra She Who Seeks: The kids love it, my niece said she can't wait to home from college to participate in pie day.

    Choclette: Sometimes we do, I introduced the crowd to blueberry, my sister to cherry and this year I introduced peach, my niece's boyfriend introduced apple-raspberry!

    Acorn Hollow: Yes, that was an acorn cutter, you can get it at Williams-Somoma

    Leigh: there are pie leftovers - but not for long! LOL

    Brainella: Nice pie to person ratio!

    To everyone: Wish you could all come for pie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your day at Aunt Mae's always sounds like so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! they look fabulous....sounds like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful tradition! The pies look delicious. Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh then you get two whole pies each! YUM!
    That is a fun tradition :) I'm a chocolate meringue girl (in case you have me over...)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely tradition. They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Καλησπεραααα....Helloooo from Greece and ΣτάΛες στο ΓαΛάΖιο blog team...Very nice post...come with me in ΣτάΛες στο ΓαΛάΖιο
    very beautiful post....
    LoVe and LiGhT with you....

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you've stopped by and I always enjoy your comments! Thank you!