Thursday, April 17, 2014

Chocolate Coconut Easter Pie



This recipe came out of my Martha Stewart Pies & Tarts Cookbook.  I've made some notes below before you begin.  Mostly because sometimes the recipes fall short of my expectations.

-I made one tweak, you really need six cups of coconut.  
-You will need to make a foil ring for the crust or use a pie crust ring.
- Use convection if you have it, and you will want the bottom lightly browned before you take the pie shell out of the oven.

Ingredients
For the crust
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
     6 cups of sweetened shredded coconut

For the filling
    1 cup heavy cream
    8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), finely chopped

Directions
1 Make the crust: Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a food processor, process butter and one-third of coconut until mixture forms a ball, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Sprinkle remaining two-thirds coconut over mixture and combine with your fingers.

2 Place a 9-inch pie plate on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Press coconut mixture into bottom and up sides of pan to form crust, leaving top edges loose and fluffy. Place a foil ring over edge to prevent burning. Bake until center begins to brown, 10 to 15 minutes; remove foil and bake until edges are browned, 4 to 5 minutes more. Transfer crust to a wire rack to cool completely.

3 Make the filling: Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan; pour over chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Let sit 10 minutes, then stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is combined. Pour into coconut crust. Refrigerate until filling is set, 1 hour or up to 1 day.

Makes one 9-inch pie.

Ya baby, it's that easy to make & it's gluten free!

Happy Easter!

P.S. I can't wait for school vacation at 3:35 p.m. today!  Eleven glorious days off to catch up on blogs!


18 comments:

  1. Yee ha! But I know you teachers so well. And your little secret is that half of that time off (or more) will be spent planning and preparing for the final quarter of school. So much to do; so little time.

    This pie sounds wonderful. What's not to love about chocolate and coconut combinations?!

    A blessed Easter to you and a wonderful vacation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that pie is just plain naughty Mary! But it looks yummy and sounds so easy so naughty or not it's very tempting!
    I hope you have a wonderful and well deserved break, Happy Easter Mary!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't get any better than this! Thanks for the extra tips, too! I always tweak!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious. Chocolate pie has long been a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, yum! Leave it to Martha to come up with a coconut/chocolate combination! You have added some needed tips! Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I haven't had a chocolate in ages and that will have to change after seeing this. That crust is heavenly. You have a good relaxing break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How decadent...leave it to Martha...Have a lovely Easter...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of chocolate and coconut and that thick chocolate filling is glorious. Hope you have a relaxing long weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Mary! That's a beaut of a pie. Love that coconut crust.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is stunning!!!
    Happy Easter, Mary
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chocolate and coconut - the PERFECT combination for me, Mary!!! I wish I had one of those here now. Can't make one either, since all shops are shut over Easter, but it is one recipe worth coming back to.
    Happy Easter to you and your loved ones, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The coconut must really make it taste special. Love the bunny pastry as the centerpiece too. Have a blessed Easter Mary.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks really good - and so very easy! I pinned it!
    have a great day - Donalyn@ http://thecreeksidecook.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is gorgeous! I hope I get a chance to try one this weekend. Have a happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would it be overkill to put some chopped salted almond on that? Doesn't matter, I'd eat all the crust before I even got to melt the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my…what a pie. I love a mound candy bar and this pie reminds me of that flavor.

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you've stopped by and I always enjoy your comments! Thank you!