Sunday, April 14, 2013

Cranberry Orange Buttermilk Pancakes

click to enlarge image

It's school vacation week, and I was in an exceptionally good mood on Saturday morning.  I asked my husband if he'd like some homemade pancakes - ah, such a silly question!  Of course the answer was "yes" LOL!!!

What I like about the cranberries is the extra texture they bring to the pancakes.  The orange flavor is subtle, and the buttermilk seems to make the pancakes melt in your mouth moist.  

My husband said that "these are cookbook delicious!"  Wow, now that's a compliment!  I hope you enjoy them as much as we did! 

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of flour
2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 1/4 cup of butter milk plus 2 tablespoons
1 egg
1/2 cup of dried cranberries (or more if you like)
1 tsp. of orange rind (or more if you like)
Maple syrup (warm)

Mix flour, baking powder and salt, add buttermilk and egg, then mix ingredients together until nice and smooth, add cranberries and orange rind, and mix again.

In a hot skillet add your favorite oil or butter. I used butter flavored olive oil (that's another post).  Using a 1/4 measuring cup, drop batter in and cook on one side until bubbles start to appear, flip and cook on the other side.


Serve with warm maple syrup and enjoy!

These pancakes are on the thick side (which I like), if you like thinner pancakes add more buttermilk.

Serves 4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Duke, guarding the 'hood!  LOL

13 comments:

  1. these look SO good! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm, those sound delightful. Love your blue and yellow couch, too! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those do look good! Much like something my kids would like to try. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look wonderful and I love cooking and baking with buttermilk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why, oh why, did I have to look at your blog before breakfast? Now all of a sudden my usual breakfast of muesli has lost its appeal, and I want these pancakes!!! :-D
    Love the picture of Duke on the look-out. Your settee sports exactly the kind of colours I like best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mhhh they look divine...just perfect for breakfast and not only!
    Have a lovely week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking pancakes Mary and I love anything with cranberries and oranges. They just seem to go together so well. Very nice compliment indeed from your husband.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, I love pancakes. Orange and cranberry go together so nicely and then warm maple syrup, these look delicious. I love your Polish Ware and your photo collage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Duke is taking his job seriously! Does he work for food? Love this recipe! I love pancakes and muffins but don't eat them very often any more! You're making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! I haven't had pancakes in a good while ... might be time to dust off the griddle! Thanks for the inspiration! You make breakfast/brunch look so appealing!

    Enjoy Spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary,

    These pancakes look delicious and will be a nice alternative to blueberry;) Duke is looking alert and prepared to take on whatever comes his way :)

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Se ve irresistible me encanta los panqueques muy muy rico,una fiesta de fin de semana,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love these pancakes... so thick... they remind me of California... oh baby I want these NOW!

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you've stopped by and I always enjoy your comments! Thank you!